Monday, April 17, 2017


I have recently made invitation cards and a personalised birthday card, using letters as the main design element.

The background for the invitation was a photocopy of a black and white mat, while I used a photocopy of one of my plastic painting sheets, torn into pieces, for the card!

Monday, April 10, 2017


Today I helped Caroline put together our Easter window at the One Craft Gallery.  I bought a pack of 25 A4 coloured card for £1 and proceeded to cut out letters which were pegged onto a string to spell out - HAPPY EASTER!  The card that I didn't use was used as mats on which to place the goods - giving colour to the white display cubes.

Caroline keeps geese and they provided the eggs that she has decoupaged to add extra decoration - see pic bottom right.  We wish all our customers a HAPPY EASTER!


Friday, March 31, 2017


I have started exchanging travelling sketchbooks with two fellow artists.  We all started with a blank sketchbook and a subject.  We all decided to chose a colour to explore.  We do a few pages, before meeting up and passing the sketchbook on and receiving one of the others to add to!

The photographs above show my contribution to a 'turquoise' sketchbook.  I was following on from explorations previously done, using turquoise as a background colour.  This lead me onto an abstract textile artwork (see top right), using an article on using random prompts to aid the design. The article is included in the blue envelope.

Doing this exercise also lead me to produce a series of abstract cards, using a painted background with cut shapes collaged on. Shown here are a few examples dottted around this post.  I wouldn't have produced these, without having done the sketchbook pages first!

Sunday, March 26, 2017


At the moment, the Guest Makers in the gallery, are from the Orchard Vale Trust.  This is a residential home for people with learning difficulties.  They produce wonderful handcrafted items in ceramics and textiles.

I always visit them every September, when they are open for Somerset Arts Week, and end up buying something!  I took the above photographs on my last visit...

Friday, March 17, 2017


At the gallery we like to change the window regularly, with little or no budget!  I have found that Hobbycraft in Yeovil is a fantastic source of cheap display material.  For instance, in the latest Spring window, I have used a couple of pieces of artificial grass to set the scene.  They were £5 for a 90cm strip that can be used time and time again.  The plain white paper bunting was only £2.50!  I painted it in suitable bright Spring colours...

The large wooden flower which I used as the centrepiece of the front window, I found in a charity shop some time ago.  It was in need of a repair and repaint.  It now lives on a window sill at home, when not called upon to contribute to the window dressing!

Sunday, March 12, 2017


As there are many drifts of daffodils brightening up our neighbourhood, I decided to use them as the inspiration for my latest gift bags to put in the gallery.  It is a subject that I have done before, as every Spring I marvel at their beauty...

Sunday, March 5, 2017


These six samples are postcard sized, and are inspired by doors and doorways.  I did them for a sketchbook that I started at the beginning of the year, looking for images or symbols representing each month, that I can use as a starting point for larger abstract paintings...

As January is named after Janus - God of the Doorway, doors seemed an appropriate subject to explore. The techniques used were, layering of acrylic paints, and scratching through.  To finish off, I covered both sides with clear acrylic wax, and added lines of machine stitching.  I can see that, some of these designs and colour schemes, could work as the basis for interpretation into much larger artworks...